Thursday, April 10, 2014

In With the Old and a Mirror Painting Tip!

 
After passing on this large, old gold mirror at one of my favorite thrifts on three separate occasions, I finally decided it was time to bring it home with me!  It's hard to tell from the before photo, but it was in pretty sad shape, which is I am sure why no one had picked it up before me.  Each corner has a piece of broken molding, probably from being moved around a bunch over the years.  Still, the details were gorgeous and I knew that a bit of Chalk Paint® would help to mask the drastic imperfections.
 
 
I bought it with the intention of painting it and taking it to my booth at Camas Antiques...(I know I've said that before, many times!)  But, I started looking around and realized that it was meant for our family room wall, and that it was meant to be pink...Antoinette to be exact!
 
 
The pretty rose print that hung here before will now be for sale in my shop space.  If I could find a wall for it in our home I would hold onto it, because I still love it.  However, I can justify keeping the pretty mirror I had bought to resell by parting with the print.
 
 
After two coats of Antoinette Chalk Paint®, I lightly distressed the frame to reveal a bit of the old gold underneath.  I chose not to wax this piece, for a couple of reasons.  It isn't necessary to wax something that is going to hang on the wall and not be handled frequently.  I decided I liked the mat finish in contrast with the other pieces in the room that I have painted and waxed...more on that later!
 
 
Now for that mirror painting tip!  When it's not possible to remove a mirror or glass from a frame (or you just don't want to take the time to do so!), try wedging strips of heavy paper (think poster board, cardstock or index card weight...not printer paper) between the glass/mirror and frame.  I have found that this works so much better than even painters tape!  It pulls out easily and doesn't tear.  There's also no paint mess to scrape in the end!  This works for glass paneled cabinet doors as well!
 
 
I am so glad that I finally decided to rescue this sad old mirror from collecting anymore dust at the thrift store!  I think it looks right at home in our family room now!  I have another project in the works for this room that I hope to share next week! 
 
Have a lovely day!  Thank you so much for your sweet visit!
 
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda



 
Sharing With:
Inspire me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life 
 Before and After Wednesday at The Decorated House
What's it Wednesday at Elephants and Ivy
Wow us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground 
 Friday's Unfolded at Nancherrow